Friday, February 23, 2007

Updating is for chumps.

So yesterday something happened, someone told me to update my blog. Yes, this has happened before, I know, but only from people who I actually kind of know. I mean yes, I do know this person. But the fact that she actually reads my blog was pretty incredible. Not really. Anyway, it got me thinking, I know that people I keep in contact with occasionally read my blog, but I wasn't aware that anyone else really actually cared. I mean, I know I like reading blogs, Like Jane's Anal adventures on the high seas. But other people... Are they like me? So I started wondering, how many people out there actually DO read my blog? Hundreds? Thousands? The internet? With all of these possibilities punching me in the throat, I decided I'd write this. Which isn't to say you're getting it straight off the bat, I could have started writing this a few days ago, maybe a few weeks? Maybe, The Internet?*

Well, in any case, for those of you out there who actually DO check my blog every so often, hoping you'll find another little gem of philosophical advice, or a rough'n tumble "your mother" reference. Hell, even a kick in the dick would be good. As long as it's from me, right? Well, Here's your dick-kick, folks.

I think I'll go with what I've found to be a winning formula for my life updates, the whole "list of things that I've done with myself since last we spoke" thing. So, any takers? You sir, no? How about you Madam? Or you sir! Yes, you! The man with the 1 shaped hat.

1) Let's start off from the last entry, I went to NZ, and stayed with Jane at her uni in Palmerston North for the majority of the two weeks. Doesn't sound too exciting? Well if you didn't want to spend that much time with Jane then I guess it wouldn't be. But I did. And it was awesome. I won't write too much on that trip. Because there's more on NZ coming up later, which is more likely to interest you than this bit.

2) I got my Licence! I don't think I told you that, I got it quite a while ago. But then again, I last posted quite a while ago. So this is for back then.

3) I got a job at Subway. Yep, that's right, I'm a Sandwich artist. Now I know, I know, it's a shitty food place job. But it's very convenient for me. It's close to home. It's on the way to Uni. And I can get free food. Not to mention they'll work around me going to uni. So I'll probably end up doing 2 or 3 nights a week there. As things go. Shouldn't be too bad. The pay isn't great, but as I said, free food, and convenience. It's more just to help pay off uni debts.

4) What if the world got so overpopulated that governments started brainwashing people into being completely unafraid of death, completely? Consoling them with the knowledge that their deaths, and those of their loved ones were serving the purpose of reducing the strain on the earths resources. If that were the only change made in common thought. Nothing else changed, families would drive their cars under rockslides, not caring. If they lived they lived, but if they died, then at least it served some kind of purpose. Nobody even tried to avoid death. They just went about things in their usual way. Straight into death traps. But what if some people weren't affected by the brainwashing, or the gene modification, however it came about? Those would be the ones that feared death, and came out on top of the easily avoidable everyday death traps. They'd be the ones that bred, that reproduced. So after a while, natural selection would turn everything back to normal right? Except we'd have a much stronger gene pool. What with all the weaker ones standing too close to the edges of volcanoes. With no fear of falling in. Hey wow, there's a strong wind. Oops.

Can you imagine the blank, surreal expression on his face as he falls helplessly towards the molten lava? "So, I'm going to die" He thinks. "Hey, that's one less person in the world at least" and then "Mmm, what's that delicious roasting smell, Oh! It's my burning flesh, how about that then."

5) And speaking of Uni, I start on Monday! That's in 2 days. Now I have to do it with all the young guns who're going straight there rather than taking a year off. Not that it really matters when you get to that point. I'll be doing a BSc in Environmental Biology. I was doing it in a double degree with Secondary Education. But I swapped out of that (which took a bloody long time to do, all day, in fact, running around uni from building to building. Filling out forms, getting told to go back to the place I was an hour ago, and even being told that I had to do it through my high school. As the uni doesn't do ADMISSIONS TO UNIVERSITY. Good one customer service). But 6 hours and 10 forms later, it was all done. Although I lost all my seats in lectures and tutorials and labs, that made my timetable nice and friendly for me. So now I have a shitty one that's all over the place. Still, it could be worse. That's what you get when you change out of a course 4 days before uni starts.

6) Man, John Farnham is playing. That shit is hot. Woo! Take the pressure down!

7) I need to wash my car, I parked it under a gum tree for one lousy night while it's flowering, and now my car is covered in drops of sticky goo, with all the tiny flower pettles stuck in it. To be honest, it's fucking ugly. So I'm gonna go wash it soon.

8) So I parked next to a smart car at uni the other day. What the fuck? How can someone afford a car like that when they're a student. Even second hand they cost like $20,000. Damnit, my tiny box of shit looked so bad compared to it. It's a good thing I couldn't care less. Also, I want one of those cars, they're just so cute. And economic! I prefer smaller cars to giant gas guzzling tank-ets. There you go, an insight into my BRAIN.

9) BRAAAAIIIIN.

10) Oh yeah, back to New Zealand. So like, I went again, just a week ago, in fact. And it was so awesome. I went accompanied by Lodge and Luke. And we all had a great time. We met up in the South island with Jane, Eddy, and Zara. Stayed in Wanaka a few days with all of them, which was awesome. Then Zara left us to go back to Mardumbala (I can't remember where she lives). And It was Janeddy left after that. Then we traveled up to Ranfurly, and stayed with Eddy for a night. Before she dropped us off in Christchurch (which is like a 3 hour drive or something, it's not the usual "I'll give you a lift to this party" sort of lift, thank you Eddy!). From there, we went all the way up the East coast of the South Island over the next week or so, and ended up in Pikton, where we caught the ferry up to the North island! Hmm, this is a really shortened account of the trip. Still, I'd be here for the whole night if I didn't shorten it back a bit. So tough, I guess. Anyway, we landed in Wellington, and stayed there a night afore heading off to Hamilton! To stay with Jane's family. And a big thankyou to Lynley and John, Jane's parents, who put up with us. And fed us, all those times. It made a big difference to have a delicious home cooked meal, and a safe environment to sleep in. And even more thanks for the use of the car as well. It means a lot that you trusted me with driving it. Fresh onto my licence as I was. I hope the few crashed I had don't affect your trust, I mean, that last one was totally not my fault.

From there, we traveled out most of the time to see various things around the south Island, spending a day in Raglan, in Wellington, Auckland, and Rotorua. Seeing all the touristy sights. And doing all the touristy things, while having the insights of a North Island Local with us. Then, in the early morning after our second night in Auckland, we headed off to the airport, and left for Australia, via Brisbane and Sidney. Three flights! End.

So yeah, there's your quick rundown of where we went. I could add a whole lot more about every place we stayed at, but really, that would take so long. And I'd be writing for ages. Aaaand you'd probably get bored. Actually, probably not, considering I'm such an intriguing and engaging writer/novelist. Novelist you say? Pray tell, Simon, whence did this come about? It didn't.

11) See, what I Should REALLY be writing is an email to Jane. I haven't written a proper email to Jane in so long. Failing that I should be writing her a letter, like in ye olden gays. With paper, and a multi-coloured-pen. (But who uses Green? It's a passenger, the other colours are clearly carrying it.) Just like in the dark ages, before they invented grass, energy drinks, and crocodiles. Yeah, I should really do that. I like writing, you see. And especially writing to Jane. Man, the emails we used to send each other. FWOOAAAR. Not really, but you know, they existed, in any case, not just urgent thoughts floating around inside my head. I should really get on to writing those. Sorry Jane, I will get around to it!

12) So this morning, right. I went off to pick-a-part (a big car wreckers yard with heaps of cars sitting around, that you walk into and find car parts, take them off, then go pay for them. Once a car's reduced to nothing, it's crushed and disposed of, for some other thing) And got myself a new starter motor. And by "I" and "me" and "myself, I of course mean Dad. Well, I was there, but he did most of it. Oh and I also stole a new fuel cap. And by stole I mean paid for. Now while I remember, I think it was the Solenoid (spelling?) that's not working. But it was easier to take the whole starter motor than just that. Although there's no guarantee that it'll work, that's the thing about pick-a-part. You could be getting something just as broken as what you already have. But if it works, it's a lot cheaper than getting a new one.

Anyway, I have to go put this new starter motor on soon, hopefully, if it works. I can be back on the road today, if not, it might be a few days, while I buy a new one, and then maybe get a mechanic to fix it. Sigh. Damnit, cars are just too expensive. Why can't uni be close enough to ride to? And why does my bike have an invisible puncture that I just cannot seem to find! It's pissing me off, that.

Also, I need a parking permit for my car for uni.

Update! Before I even published the post! Car is fixed and working. Also, there's this little tube that I think has been detached for a while. It doesn't seem to do anything important. But you know. It's there, and it's looking at me.
13) By the way, today is Tuesday, so I started uni yesterday! It was pretty awesome, although Monday's probably my worst or second worst day. Tuesday's my best. Although all of my days are the best compared to Luke's. Man, he has the shittest timetable Evar. 8:00 lectures every morning, AND he lives 50 minutes from the uni! That shit is totally hella bad.

14) So back to my car, right. This little tube thing, that we found floating around, coming from somewhere, but with no idea where it was going. Yeah, that. Anyway it took us a while but we figured out where it went.

15) Yay, Uni/time management/Jane talk from mum. Yes, I'm aware that I'm at uni now, but that doesn't mean that I can't watch Red Dwarf. And no, I don't care, I'm not going to make set periods of time when I will and won't talk to Jane. I'll talk to her when I want to! Assuming of course she's there. Which reminds me, I need to get another headset so I can use skype again.

16) Yep, that's it, I guess. I can't think of anything more to say. That's all for now then, I could put some pictures up of the trip but it would take too long, and I've been writing this really slowly over like 5 days now, and tell Jane I'll be posting it up soon. So I should probably do that. POST, ATTACK.


*Just a note to say that's actually not the reason I wrote this post. It was more just on a whim.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

FINALLY.

2:41 AM  
Blogger Simon. said...

It's good to know you keep such close tabs on my blog Rach. Also, anyone out there care to guess what made me think about point number 4? I bet you can't. I had a good laugh when I woke from my daydreaming about it, when I thought back to what started it.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home